Friday, December 26, 2008

Mind it!

(This article was judged as the 'best in the issue' in my college magazine last spring :) )


“C’mon man cough up a few bucks!” there goes the last piece of evidence you had to prove you get pocket money. Well…all for a friend. But doesn’t it get too much? Sometimes don’t you feel like saying “c’mon give me a break!” Friends in flesh and blood are a necessity by default. What pleasure it is to be seen in a gang, flaunting the latest fashion, putting up a big smile, thumping shoulders and clapping hands. But isn't there something we are missing inside ourselves? At some point zoological friendship seems to be lacking. Do they really love me? Are they here just for fun? Will they support me always? Questions do pop up. Now let me tell you, I agree completely that there are people who would die for their friendship. This article is not about those divine bonds. I’m just trying to reach out to those who laugh in a bunch and still feel empty.

Have you ever talked to yourself? In front of a mirror? Have you listened to the wonderful things you felt about yourself? Have you realized how good a friend you can be to yourself? You were gifted with a best friend right from the moment you came into this world. A friend so true and so sincere that only the worst moments of your life uncovers him/her. Let me make it a him for reference. This friend I call ‘the mind’ – you call him whatever you want. Do understand – the brain is what thinks; the mind is what analyses and reasons. This best friend of mine and yours too deep inside will laugh and cry with you - truly. No amount of happiness or sorrow is déjà vu to him because what matters to him ultimately is you and you alone. There are no other commitments for him and the sole purpose of this friend is to see you through the complex maze of life as lightly and as successfully as possible. Hey! Am not getting preachy. This friend is flexible. Make him be any form you like – a cuddly bunny, your idol, a nice face you like – anything! Name it and he’ll cater to you, as you like. Now isn’t this what Calvin is doing with Hobbes? This friend is also as practical as you are. He’ll giggle with you, comment on your dress, that boring lecture, that cute guy/girl – anything. Just for you. And he expects nothing from you. Just be happy and ‘live’ life he would say. He’s protective, loyal, trustworthy and most of all completely secretive and extremely comforting. He fills that big void in your life. This would happen naturally when you are 60. Then you realize, Aah! I had him in here” He was always there. I just want to tell you , you can enjoy this friendship right now. Throughout your life. The more you get to him , the more he’ll make your life real. He’ll not climb the dias and start with ‘my dear comrades,,,” but you will realize the truth of life as suddenly and yet as beautifully as a dewdrop on a lotus leaf. He’ll be the first one to hug you when you win, to tell you that you are gorgeous, to shed tears for you and feel heavy when you are sad, to shake you up and comfort you saying “It’ll be alright. Don’t give up” , to tell you how it hurts when you hurt someone. He will tell none else. Forgiving is his USP.
I cant show him to you. Nor can I explain what exactly he means to me, but I have given you a sample. I’m glad I found him and he’s happy to have stepped in early. It feels heavenly listening to him and I miss nothing and I don’t feel lonely anymore. I still have my group of friends but with my best friend, I appreciate them better and they love me more. I’m being moulded by a trusted friend. What more could one ask for? I’m happy that I am in safe hands and surprised to know that it was inside me. Spiritually they call him ‘conscience’. Nah! I just call him my best buddy!


(This article also appears here: http://inversekarma.in/crushed-paper/mind-it )

2 comments:

  1. btw i posted some stuff on ur topics in my blog chk them out if u r free
    nikido.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete